Friday, August 1, 2014

McCall's M7000, View B, Cost Breakdown and Reflection




So the dress is made, time to think about how much it cost to make.

Notes
These fabric amounts are for size 3-4.
The prices are regular price and do not include coupons, sales, or any other type of discount that I may have used.
I only include items I bought for this specific project, I do not include items leftover from previous projects, such as small pieces of fabric, small pieces of elastic, small pieces of interfacing, or thread (particularly black and white).

Fabric
Casa Collection Satin ($7.99/yd): 1.25yds = $9.99
Sheer Ribbon Organza ($5.99/yd): 2.625yds = $15.72
Crinkle Pearlized Sheer ($8.99/yd): .375yds = $3.37
Crystal Blue Posh Lining ($4.99/yds): .375yds = $1.87

Notions
6 buttons for $1.00 =  $0.17 for 1 button
14" Polyester Zipper = $2.19
100m Opal Blue Thread =$1.99

Total
Drumroll please

 $35.30

Reflections

I'm thankful I did this project because I used many different fabrics and techniques that I had never done before. I had never done a slipstitch nor had I ever used organza or pearlized shear. I had also never done a princess seam or attached a lining.
Attaching the lining and doing the slipstich were easier than I thought they would be and I'm glad this project involved them.

I regret using the pearlized shear because I noticed too late that it was supposed to be dry clean only. It seams to be holding together even though it was washed. Also I regret using the organza, it was slippery, didn't iron well, and my needle and thread were too big for it. I may have to remake the yoke and sleeves into a different fabric because after one days where they are already falling apart. The overlay is staying but there's also not as much stress put on the overlay as on the sleeves or yoke.

If, or most likely when, I make it again , probably in a bigger size, I'll probably use satin for both the skirt and bodice but I have not decided yet what I'm going to use for the yoke, sleeves, and overlay.

Happy Sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment